Support » Recruitment of Volunteers
Volunteer Flood Groups usually begin with a small group of individuals who are keen to make a difference in their community and help prepare for flooding or other emergencies. Sometimes the parish or town councillors will take the lead. It is often the case, however, that there are insufficient volunteers at the start to undertake the roles identified in the community flood plan. Flood groups use different ways to recruit more members. Here are a few examples:
- Advertise in the parish newsletter or free paper circulated to households
- Put an article on the village/town website or facebook page if you have one
- Do a simple leaflet for distribution door to door or at community events. You’ll find an example below of one used recently in Watchet in Somerset that you could use as a template.
- Set up a stall at a community event. You’ll find some ideas about what to include under the Communications section below
- Ask for help from your local supermarket. They often have community reps who will help you to publicise your cause.
- Run an event in your village/town hall. We would be more than happy to support such an event whenever we can.